Wednesday 18 April 2012

I got stuck to on Oracle DataBase Developer apps

Dear Readers, 


Over a period of one entire, month I've being put off by Linux ubuntu 11.10, to install the sqldeveloper package. Every single time I've tried to do it, I got errors ... 


Today finally I managed to find the solution.. Someone had the same problem as me and posted a solution in one forum, so I followed their instructions and got mine working.. Thank you to this guy.. 


Really saved the day.. 


So, I decide to honour him and post his solution here. 


"Hi guys, just got a quick question: 

I need to install Oracle's SQL Developer since I need to use the program for a database unit at Uni. Anyway, if you've tried to use it before you'd realise that there is only a .rpm installer available for it (no .deb). So I tried to convert it to .deb using alien.  When I "sudo alien --scripts" the .rpm I get: error: incorrect format: unknown tag mkdir: cannot create directory `sqldeveloper-2.1.1.64.45': 


File exists unable to mkdir sqldeveloper-2.1.1.64.45: at /usr/share/perl5/Alien/Package.pm line 257.  
Basically, I'm asking, does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here? I've never used alien before since I've never had a need to convert a .rpm before. I also tried installing and running Java JDK and SQL Developer under Wine, but was unsuccessful with that as well :( Anyway, thanks for taking your time to read and (hopefully) help with this ;) 


Oh and I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 32bit, if that helps? 


; -->poltak July 22nd, 2010, 07:49 AM Ah, crud <-- [That's the name of the guy that created the post]
Managed to solve this problem with the help of another more-advanced-than-me linux user. 


Anyway, I'll write up how we got it sorted without needing to convert an rpm package to deb just so if anyone else has this same problem in the future and googles this or something... 
First make sure you have Java JDK installed. I used openjdk (open-source alternative to the official Sun Java jdk thingie). Download the "Oracle SQL Developer for other platforms" from the Oracle site (http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/sql/index.html)and then extract it into its own folder. 


Then in terminal, cd to the extracted directory and: sudo sh sqldeveloper.sh 
It'll ask you to type the pathname of your J2SE installation


Mine turned out to be "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk". Then press enter and you should be right and it will boot up and work the exact same as it does under Windows or OS X. 


 Hopefully this helps another linux newbie out one day down the track :)"


This is the end result on my computer ..Finally working 
 :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Hide and Unhide Hard Disk Volumes Using CMD on Windows 10 and Windows 11

I'd be glad to create a step-by-step guide on hiding and unhiding hard disk volumes using CMD commands for Windows 10 and 11 , incorpor...